Monday 12 July 2010

Natural sensory board

I was inspired by the photos from New Zealand where they had walls covered with different smooth pebbles for the children to use their sense of touch and explore. I thought it would be a wonderful safe way to incorporate natural resources and part of the outdoor world into the nursery.
 I encountered a problem when i started making the board. I was using a hot glue gun to stick the small pebbles onto the canvas and they just werent sticking on strong enough. I was very aware that for this project to work the object had to be very secure to eleminate any risk of choaking. My ever handy father saw what i was doing and suggested using a hair dryer to heat the rocks after i had stuck them on to help it all set. So after my first attempt of them not sticking i had pulled some off needlessly, so i stuck them back on and used my hair dryer to heat them on. This really melted the glue and heated the rocks enough to bind them to the canvas.

I then used clear varnish to stick some sand on and also covered some of the pebbles to create a different feel. I was very happy with my finished product and i impressed other staff members with my board and have been asked to make some more for the centre. 
When i first introduced the sensory board to the children i put it on the floor next to me and encouraged them to come and explore it. I described the feel of the different textures. Each child tried their best to pull off the shells and pebbles but thankfull they are very secure. I have tied the board to the fence inside at each corner and it can be easily cut down again. I was very pleased with the finished product and the reaction i had from both the children and the staff. I intend to make another one that is larger and also one with recycled materials such as bubble wrap and ribbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment